Monday, March 11, 2013

Foolishness in Syria

US-born former Army vet known as 'The American' fights alongside Al Qaeda

He's a U.S.-trained soldier turned Muslim warrior who moves between America and countries where the winds of the Arab spring blow, fighting alongside jihadists and America-hating terrorists while celebrating his bloody exploits on YouTube videos.
...
Darryl Harroun said his son is seen as an adventurer by friends and relatives, who call him "Arizona Jones."
"He just loves that part of the world," said Darryl Harroun, who said his family has been in the U.S. for several generations and is not Muslim. "We scratch our heads and wonder what the hell he's doing. I told him, 'You're never going to change those people's minds over there.' But he says they treat him like a hero.
"I know one day I'm going to get a message from over there, telling me my son is dead," he said.
...
He isn't  a "Muslim warrior", or "Arizona Jones", he's a terrorist, fighting in a conflict, not of black and white morality, but of black and black morality. The Syrian regime is totalitarian and corrupt, and the end result of the civil war will probably be to replace it with a regime that is also totalitarian and corrupt - if they're lucky, it'll be less totalitarian and corrupt, if not, they'll end up suffering at leas as bad as they have under their current regime.
Honestly, if I was his father I wouldn't "wonder what the hell he's doing" I'd disown him.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment