Saturday, March 23, 2013

Fiscal Irresponsibility and Intellectual Dishonesty

CBS just pissed me off. In a recent article about a Republican Senator attacking the Democrat budget plan, they mentioned taxes that were raised on incomes over $400,000 at the beginning of the year, but conveniently forgot to mention that taxes went up for everyone.
I am no high income earner. My yearly income is a rather small fraction of $400,000. Yet my taxes went up too.
At the beginning of this year, I got a $30 raise (I'm assuming it was inflation based). My Social Security taxes went up along with my pay. I now pay 35 dollars more in Social Security taxes than I did before.
Last year I paid $247.22 in total taxes a month (Federal Income, Social Security, Medicare, and State Income).
In January of this year I paid $284.87 in total taxes.

Given that my pay also went up, the increase in taxation is hardly backbreaking, however, it indicates a clear dishonesty upon the part of CBS. The end of the "payroll tax holiday" is a tax increase on everyone.

And in the end, the federal government is just going to continue wasting the money.

No comments:

Post a Comment