Thursday, April 11, 2013

More Gun Control Madness

New York confiscated a man's guns on mental health reasons, then found that they'd confiscated the wrong guy's firearms.
I now have no intention of ever seeing a mental health professional ever again, unless I feel that the problem is worse than the possibility of having my property confiscated. I've been a user of firearms for over half of my (admittedly short) life, and I have every intention of continuing to use firearms, even if it means avoiding mental health professionals for the rest of my life.

Then we have the new Senate bill debate on another gun control bill - a bill that would increase the scope of background checks, while containing language to lure Republicans over.
It, like all gun control laws in the history of this nation, is blatantly unconstitutional. The wording of the second amendment is uncompromising, and allows for no wriggle room.
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
 In the beginning of our nation, any free citizen could buy, own, use, and sell any weapon that they chose, without having to go to the government for permission. This included the Pennsylvania Long Rifle, which, though primarily a hunting weapon, was used to great effect in the American Revolution and the various conflicts with Native Americans, the Brown Bess Musket, which, though less accurate than a rifle had a much greater rate of fire and a bayonet lug, and was from start to finish a weapon with only one purpose, war. If one had the money, he could buy artillery, even warships.
In the modern era, while I can still buy standard hunting firearms, the various modern military firearms used worldwide are not available, except in reduced functionality models that function the exact same as the standard hunting weapons, albeit with a few extra features such as bayonet lugs - not that the lack of bayonet lugs would keep any sufficiently motivated person from mounting a bayonet. If I buy from someone who sells firearms for a living, I have to undergo a background check.
My right to keep and bear arms has already been infringed upon enough. I will not tolerate any further infringement upon that right, and I will vote against any politician who infringes or proposes to  infringe any further on that right, even if I agree with that politician on every other issue.


No comments:

Post a Comment